In response to the massive earthquake in January, 2010, numerous relief agencies as well as individual efforts have tried to overcome the mounting toll of human suffering.
RWB has joined forces with Dr. Ron Israelski to assist the University Hospital in Port-au-Prince. Dr. Israelski, a fellowship-trained surgeon and assistant professor from NYU Hospital for Special Surgery, is the past Chairman of Orthopedics at Orange Regional Medical center in upstate New York.
In February of 2010, Dr. Israelski joined a grassroots effort to provide orthopedic surgical services at the devastated hospital. Upon his return from Haiti, Dr. Israelski met with RWB and described the many needs for imaging services at the University Hospital. Needs include but are not limited to: imaging service leadership, connectivity, equipment and education.
Current Progress and Assessment:
- RWB has provided City Hospital with an Ultrasound (courtesy of Columbia Memorial Hospital in Hudson, NY), along with onsite training by RWB volunteers
- Dr. Israelski continues to make multiple trips to Port-au-Prince to offer surgical assistance
- RWB continues to remain involved with the American College of Radiology’s Haiti Project
- RWB has also had the opportunity to collaborate with Minor League Baseball’s Binghamton Mets to provide over 500 new pairs of shoes for school children in Haiti
- Progress in Haiti is limited due to the lack of infrastructure and safety issues.