During the week of February 22, 2010, Dr. Tariq Gill, Mr. Brian Wetzel, and Mr. Matt Coletta traveled to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, specifically the Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Services (MUHAS). With assistance from representatives from Muhimbili Hospital, they embarked on a fact finding mission to explore needs, establish relationships and develop connections to educate and provide expertise in the area of Medical Imaging.
- Establishing connectivity for electronic communications and transmission of images between MUHAS and Lourdes Hospital allowing radiologists to provide expert opinions in Medical Imaging.
- Develop a more defined educational affiliation between Lourdes Hospital and MUHAS
- Expand the development of network connectivity to allow for video conferencing and other educational resources
- Establish a Mammography program inclusive of procuring equipment as well as providing training and support to staff
Current Progress and Assessment:
- Lourdes Breast Care Center conducted a clinical education program in February 2011 for Radiologist, Dr. Lulu Said Fundikira, and Radiographic Technologist, Catherine Joseph Semkudi.
- RWB has delivered two mammography units to the project site (courtesy of Sywest Medical), making MUHAS’s first ever Breast Cancer Screening program possible.
- RWB has delivered multiple computer systems and textbooks to the Radiology Residency Program at MUHAS